Assistant Director of Finance - College of Education, Health %26 Human Sciences
Location: knoxville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 224806
Assistant Director of Finance - College of Education, Health, & Human Sciences
Regular, Full-time, Market Range 12
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, this position is responsible for the fiscal operations of CEHHS, approving all financial transactions for the college, advising on fiscal policy college wide, as well as providing analysis of the budget college wide and reporting for strategic planning on behalf of the Director. This position carries full signature authority for fiscal and human resources transactions. Consequently, the position can have major impact on the capacity for strategic planning, responsible budget management, and compliance with university and governmental agency policies and regulations regarding financial, human resources, grant and contract operations. This position is responsible for the supervision of one non-exempt position (Financial Associate 3).
Responsible for fiscal operations of CEHHS = ~ $33M expenditures annually, to ensure accuracy and integrity of all financial matters of the college, including but not limited to:
* Approves financial transactions at college level, approving HR transactions as needed.
* Directs and/ or advises CEHHS administration, business managers, financial staff, directors, and department heads, interpreting financial policies and procedures, as well as disseminating new ones, developing new procedures and providing training as needed.
* Manages college financial commitments and positions resources to support initiatives within budget scope.
* Allocates / Reallocates resources to align with strategic plan as directed by the Director of Finance and Administration, including but not limited to centrally funded waivers.
* Oversees of administrative gift accounts, working with the college development office ensuring that monies are used wisely and appropriately per gift agreements.
* Calculates and distributes annual F&A Returns (RIF) and Research Incentive Plan (RIP) allocations to all units.
* Manages new faculty startup accounts including initial setup, monitors and advises departments on procedural guidelines and coordinates annual startup carryover process.
* Responsible for any IRIS account maintenance for college as well as departments/ centers to align with new budget model, including but not limited to addition/ deletion/ maintenance of all funds centers, cost centers, and/ or restricted accounts.
* Responds to a variety of inquiries by Office of Budget and Finance and the graduate school, including but not limited to annual self-assessment survey, GASB 87 Leases, and fellowships. Answers department questions as needed.
* Oversees contract administration as well as coordination of annual asset and space surveys for college as well as units. Facilitate procurement questions as needed.
* Supervises Financial Associate 3 position whose responsibilities include but not limited to: reviewing financial transactions in IRIS, reconciliation of 175+ ledgers monthly college wide, including sponsored projects led by college administration; reconciliation of scholarships; subaward monitoring and payment for administration research; college procurement, including administration P-cards, vendor invoice payments and contract administration; as well as asset management, including annual inventory and asset set up / transfers.
Compliance - This position ensures fiscal compliance for sponsored projects college wide through the following duties:
* Advise financial staff and business managers in the departments and centers on fiscal matters for externally funded research to promote and ensure compliance with UT HR and fiscal policies, Uniform Guidance, and sponsor requirements.
* Develop and conduct or coordinate fiscal compliance workshops as needed and/ or requested by the Budget Director or College Office of External Funding for faculty or staff, including but not limited to effort certification, reading/approving ledgers, budget revisions.
* Conducts department and center financial compliance audits as needed without supervision. Prepares written summary report for budget director and department head of audit findings, including recommended corrective actions.
* Provides information and answers inquiries related to audit requests.
* Notifies UT compliance officer(s) if sponsored project financial compliance violations occur. Collaborates with Budget Director and College Office of External Funding, as well as affected faculty and/ or staff to determine best immediate corrective action and best long-term corrective action to prevent future violations.
Research Administration (College) - This role ensures the accuracy and integrity of all financial matters for research conducted for units within the college, including but not limited to: Center for Sport, Peace, & Society (CSPS), Office of Professional Licensure, (OPL), and Associate Dean for External Funding.
* Advises on resource availability and monitors budgets and expenditures on accounts within the unit to ensure fiscal objectives are met.
* Supervises and approves financial and human resources activities of the units, timely processing of transactions and compliance with Uniform Guidance and UT fiscal policies, including but not limited to ledger reconciliation and effort certification.
* Advises on resource availability, prepares annual budgets as well as monthly forecasts, and directs allocation of funds as necessary.
Our primary mission is to move forward the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate the citizens of the state of Tennessee, the nation, and the world. As the preeminent research-based, land-grant university in the state, UT embodies the spirit of excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement attained by the nation’s finest public research institutions.