Director, NIBR Business Development & Licensing Finance
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Internal Number: 322132BR
5,600. The number of people dedicated to discovery across 6 research locations around the globe! The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is THE innovation engine of Novartis. We collaborate across scientific and organizational boundaries, with a focus on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
As the Director - NIBR BD&L (Business Development and Licensing) Finance, you will partner with NIBR Development & Licensing to identify, analyze, and successfully close BD&L opportunities and manage alliances, which support NIBR business strategy.
This position will also contribute to NIBR's BD&L finance and deal strategy by managing key enabling financial processes (planning & reporting), systems, and analysis associated with external collaboration, licensing, and acquisition and divestment deals
Your key responsibilities: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Providing independent and high-quality financial support to all BD&L transactions and Alliance Management processes including Licensing, Acquisition, Collaborations, Out-licensing, Strategic equity investments, and other strategic business initiatives. Making recommendations for financial structure and terms to maximize value to Novartis while minimizing risk across deal life cycle.
* Collecting input from key finance (Accounting, Tax, Funds Flow, Innovative Medicines and Group Finance) stakeholders and incorporate their feedback on term sheet/contracts in a timely manner. Taking a proactive role in informing and finding solutions to the negotiations lead of financial issues.
* Leading analysis of financial analysis and models underpinning deal terms; analyzing deal economics quickly to identify key value drivers and looks at key sensitivities. Preparation of the business case with specific responsibility for financial aspects including P&Ls, cash flow analyses, sensitivity analyses, and other relevant financial metrics slides for presentation to the NIBR Deal Committee (NDC) and other governance committees.
* Functioning as a trusted member of the Deal and Alliance Management teams in face-to-face negotiations with external parties. Constructively challenging deal terms and working towards solutions that do not meet financial prudence, risk management, governance needs of Novartis.
* Owning end-to-end financial impact of the portfolio managed: Proper planning and reporting of BD&L targets (P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow) as applicable to portfolio of deals and alliances managed. Ensuring proper and timely accounting for Intangibles, Equity, Loans, Contingent Considerations, and Impairment/Amortization for the deal portfolio managed across entities in US and Basel.
* Will serve as a strong communicator to represent Novartis Finance for a BD&L transaction, internally at top management levels within Novartis, and externally with partners.