This position is responsible for the overall financial reporting of the university while ensuring accuracy and reliability of financial information. Serves as a key resource for the university and provides daily financial oversight to ensure the financial records are complete, accurate and comply with generally accepted accounting principles, policies and regulations. Areas of responsibility include general accounting, payroll, risk management, purchasing, grant accounting, equipment inventory control, and bursar operations.
• Assist with developing and maintaining accounting policies, procedures and controls in accordance with sound accounting principles, applicable regulations and laws as well as best practice.
• Ensure compliance with federal, state laws and regulations along with university policies and procedures.
• Oversee general accounting functions, financial reporting, audits, accounts payable, grants, contracts accounting and tax compliance.
• Contribute to related University functions such as debt management.
• Assist with the development of strategies for short-term and long-term financing for University capital projects.
• Prepare fiscal year and all other financial reports as directed or appropriate in order to fulfill state law and/or use in management decisions.
• Execute an internal control system and process that ensures successful audits in order that Washburn may continue to receive state and federal funds, and be a responsible steward of others’ monies.
• Oversee risk management and insurance operations.
• Facilitate and encourage process improvements and maximization of available technological resources.
• Work collaboratively with various groups including senior administrators, staff, faculty, federal and state officials, vendors and community stakeholders.
• Supervise, support and manage team to maximize employee performance and facilitate professional growth. As team leader and motivator, maintain a healthy, fair, and inclusive work environment by promoting diversity, exercising teamwork and collaboration. Actively promote a professional workplace culture of mutual respect and collegiality for all members of the institution. Work to build positive and cooperative relationships with staff, encouraging them to work toward individual and departmental goals.
• Perform additional job related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
• Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting and/or a master’s of accounting, master of business administration or related field. • At least five years’ of progressively responsible experience leading a complex organization and directing a diverse full time staff responsible for multiple accounting functions.
Preferred: • Financial administration experience in higher education or comparable administrative experience in a fund accounting environment. • CPA. • Ellucian Banner ERP system and/or Evisions Argos experience.
• Proven ability to identify and resolve management challenges. • Management experience in the operation and enhancement of major information technology systems in support of business and/or financial administration. • Demonstrated effective communication skills. • Ability to work with all individuals and contribute to a positive environment by working with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff and external constituents. • Proven ability to manage multiple projects and/or tasks concurrently, work autonomously and prioritize work independently to meet and/or exceed time lines.
Internal Number: S0097P
About Washburn University
WASHBURN UNIVERSITY is located on a spacious, attractive campus in Topeka, the capital city of the state of Kansas. Washburn is a municipally supported, state assisted university comprised of six major academic units; the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Law, the School of Business, the School of Nursing, the School of Applied Studies and the Division of Continuing Education. There are over 7,000 students enrolled in traditional undergraduate degree programs, two-year associate degree programs and professional graduate programs in Law, Business, Psychology, Education, Social Work, Criminal Justice and Liberal Studies.
The faculty and staff are the heart and soul of Washburn University. It is all of us together, engaging our students, that makes us who we are. And, together, we create a brighter future for our students and for the region. We are a public university, independently governed and state coordinated. Our 160 acre campus is one of the crown jewels of Topeka with state of the art facilities. In fact, visitors often assume that we are a much more expensive private school rather than an affordable, public institution.
We want to recruit and retain the very be...st people and that is why we offer competitive wages and an excellent benefits program. At Washburn, we want you to have a dynamic and rewarding career along with a healthy work/life balance.