The System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting.
This position leads the UNT System consolidated Controller Office and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Finance. The System Controller is responsible for providing direction, supervision, leadership and strategic planning in all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System and component institutions.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Develop, implement and maintain, internal control and financial reporting policies, standards and procedures that ensure compliance with university policies, external rules, regulations, generally accepted accounting principles and produce consistent and predictable financial reporting outcomes
* Develop, implement and maintain, efficient and effective payroll and payment practices that are rooted in best practices, produce high levels of customer satisfaction, are benchmark-able, and consistent amongst all component institutions wherever possible
* Perform advanced accounting work utilizing a centralized accounting system serving the three campuses and the UNT System offices, including completing the external financial statements for all UNT System component institutions and consolidated financial statements for the organization as a whole
* Instill an environment across the team of continuous improvement
* Implement policies and procedures to provide accurate and complete financial data for UNT System and the component institutions
* Develop and maintain systems and internal controls necessary to support the UNT System fiscal operations and to safeguard the UNT System and component institutional assets
* Coordinate the preparation and submittal of UNT System and component institution other external reporting requirements to the State Comptroller, Legislative Budget Board, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, National Center for Education Statistics, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
* Coordinate the preparation of UNT System and component institution internal financial and operations reports required by System administration and the Board of Regents
* Collaborate with component institutions to ideate, develop, prepare, and deliver timely and accurate automated financial management reports that are useful to Campus and UNT System leadership teams.
* Develop and maintain automated systems that support the routine delivery of internal management reports
* Regularly review processes for the preparation of tax returns and establish procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal tax laws
* Establish and maintain management controls that ensure compliance with applicable internal (campus and system) policies and procedures as well as state and federal regulations
* Coordinate with Information Technology Shared Services leadership and the campuses to maintain and enhance financial systems
* Maintain and enhance knowledge of GASB and GAAP to ensure that financial reporting and internal control environments reflect best practices
* Maintain and enhance knowledge of management trends and best practices as they relate to Tax, A21 and A131 requirements, payroll, and accounts payable
* Develop and maintain a staff development plan for the Controller office that ensure continued growth and leads to a best place to work
* Coordinate the development of a Controller Office budget and manage the budget throughout the fiscal year
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
* Degree in Accounting, advanced degree in business, and CPA
* Direct experience in service related areas noted in function of job, operations or oversight of the same
* Experience as a business, financial, or operations executive including setting policy, developing and successfully leading complex large-scale implementations, and collaboratively developing strategic plans to support a variety of business initiatives
* Minimum of seven years in a management/supervisory role
The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
This position is located at our Business Service Center at Woodhill Square, just south of our flagship campus in Denton.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: 155381
About University of North Texas System
The University of North Texas System includes the University of North Texas in
Denton, the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth and the
University of North Texas at Dallas. The UNT System is the only public university
system headquartered in Dallas-Fort Worth – the fourth-largest metropolitan area
in the United States. The UNT System is dedicated to serving our students and this
diverse region through a wide offering of degree plans and research initiatives. With
combined enrollment of nearly 44,000 students, the UNT System awards more than
9,000 degrees each year – including the largest number of master’s and doctoral
degrees in the DFW region. The UNT System has an annual budget of $1 billion and
boosts the Texas economy by $5.2 billion each year.