Under the management of the Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, provide detailed and accurate preparation and organization of defined financial operations of the organization; to maintain fiscal accountability and transparency in all activities; to work in concert with senior management on current policies and practices impacting the excellence of the organization’s financial obligations.
1. Oversees the timely and accurate processing of all invoices and grant payments.
2. Ensures timely and accurate processing of incoming contributions and oversees the appropriate coding of all deposits.
3. Reviews all balance sheet accounts for accuracy and reconciles these accounts to the general ledger monthly. Monitors cash balances to assist management in optimizing returns.
4. Prepares month-end journal entries for month-end close. This includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, investment portfolio entries, Endowment, fixed assets, depreciation, etc.
5. Calculates and prepares receivables invoices for certain states pursuant to contracts.
6. Prepares various schedules and work papers for outside auditors during the annual audit and IRS Form 990 preparation. Communicates regularly with auditors on any accounting-related issues.
7. Reviews and ensures compliance with all state charitable registration filings.
8. Oversees review of bi-annual reports of Wendy’s Wonderful Kids grantees and creates invoicing for unspent grant funds.
9. Assists the SVP, CFO with reporting and analysis related to the annual budget, ongoing forecasts, investments, benefit plans, Board reports, etc.
10. Provides financial support and analysis to all Foundation staff for Wendy’s campaigns, fundraising, programs and budgets.
11. Performs many of same job functions for DTFA Canada.
12. Serves as backup for SVP, CFO for bi-weekly payroll processing and presentation of financial statements, budgets and investments at various committee and Board of Trustee meetings.
13. Provides training and supervision of Staff Accountant.
14. Serves as liaison between the Foundation’s accounting software vendors (NetSuite and Blackbaud), stays abreast of upgrades and new product offerings.
15. Performs other job-related duties as may be assigned or required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong knowledge of and experience with accounting principles including general ledger, accounts payable and accounts receivable; excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent organizational skills and commitment to the mission.
This position supervises the Staff Accountant position.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Science in Accounting/Finance or related field required. Minimum of 5-10 years of financial experience to include budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and construction of required financial statements. Proven ability in leading annual financial statement audits and overseeing the completion of our annual IRS form 990 tax return. Experience with dynamic non-profit organization or related position preferred. Proficient in Microsoft Office products, General Ledger/Accounting Systems (preferably NetSuite) and Fundraising Software (preferably Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge).
About Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national, nonprofit public charity dedicated exclusively to finding permanent homes and loving families for the nearly 155,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking.