Network of Ensemble Theaters
Finance & Operations Manager
0.5 FTE (20 hrs/wk)**
Flexible; to be scheduled by mutual agreement, with at least half falling within the hours of M-F 9am-5pm Pacific
Work performed from employee’s own home or office; can be located anywhere in the U.S.
Executive Director (located in Portland, Oregon), with accountability to/from the collaborative management team and its other members (Managers based in various locations)
**Note: it may be possible to combine this and the Web & Data Manager position (also 0.5 FTE, 20 hrs/wk -- see separate job posting) to create one 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/wk) position, for a candidate with the right blend of skills and experience.
At the direction of the Executive Director, and in close collaboration with a team of peer Managers, the Finance & Operations Manager will develop and implement NET’s financial and organizational systems in support of NET’s day-to-day operations and programmatic activities. The position manages financial and related operations including HR, insurance, and financial tracking/reporting (working with an outsourced bookkeeper), and undertakes related administrative duties.
This is an at will, part-time (0.5 FTE, i.e. 20 hours/week) position. Work is performed from employee’s home/office location, with remote supervision by NET’s Executive Director (based in Portland, Oregon) and shared accountability to/from NET’s collaborative management team and its other members, who work from multiple locations. In addition to collaboration with NET staff, the position will require virtual engagement with NET’s Board, contractors, vendors, donors, and membership.
The Finance & Operations Manager will play a key role in the organization’s ability to manifest its mission at the highest level. With the addition of two newly created Manager positions -- this Finance & Operations Manager, and a Web & Data Manager (posted separately) -- NET moves to create a collaborative management team and a distributed leadership model for the organization that is rooted in ensemble values, practice, and structure. The newly hired Managers will work with our two existing Managers (an Engagement Manager and a Field Resources Manager) to initiate and manifest this new team-based structure together, with each Manager contributing to its creation. In addition to each Manager’s individual focus areas, the collaborative management team will share responsibility, accountability, and authority for areas of collective decision-making, and for the execution of broader organizational duties (i.e. supporting each other as sounding boards, additional sets of hands during events or other high-volume work periods, and fresh eyes for proofing and editing public materials), with the oversight of the Executive Director.
In adding these new positions (Finance & Operations Manager, and Web & Data Manager), NET’s staff increases to a total of 3.5 FTE: a full-time Executive Director, and four part-time Managers (0.5-0.75 FTE). As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, NET is governed by a 15-person Board of Trustees, and operates as a field leadership and service organization for 350+ members (ensembles, affiliate organizations, individuals, and students) throughout the U.S. The annual operating budget for the current fiscal year is ~$600K.
The position serves as the administrative and financial foundation for NET’s day-to-day operations. Key duties and essential job functions include:
- Serve as primary liaison with independent bookkeeping firm to code, process, track, and reconcile monthly A/P, A/R, deposits, credit card payments (via PayPal), expenses, banking, and payroll/benefits activity using cloud-based documents and systems, and according to GAAP-compliant, non-profit accounting practices and approved fiscal management and internal control policies and procedures.
- Maintain donor and grant records in CiviCRM; issue donor acknowledgements and receipts, and provide staff and Board with donor lists and reports (including use of restricted grant funds).
- Support Executive Director in annual operating budget development, in collaboration with the management team, Board, and Finance Committee; work with staff to monitor, report on, and manage department and program budgets throughout year; oversee creation of grant budgets and financial reporting to funders.
- Create, maintain, and monitor cash flow projections, monthly financial statements (with bookkeeper), budget variances, and other key financial information; share with the staff, Finance Committee, and Board, and provide analysis and guidance.
- Participate in NET Board meetings, preparing timely, complete, and accurate financial reports and aiding in presentations as needed; serve as lead staff support to the Finance Committee.
- With Executive Director, work with independent auditors to ensure a successful year-end audit and annual preparation of tax forms (Form 990 & state filings).
- Perform analyses of accounting practices, and banking/investment activities as needed or requested by Executive Director and/or Finance Committee; make recommendations to minimize risk and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and undertake new actions in these areas as directed.
- Update and maintain NET Fiscal Policy manual with input from bookkeeper, auditor, Executive Director, and Finance Committee.
- Oversee HR functions including staff payroll processing (SurePayroll), benefits management (Zane Benefits, retirement plan, PTO tracking), new employee and independent contractor onboarding, and general HR policies and strategy (with support from Executive Director, bookkeeper, and vendors).
- Ensure compliance with NET personnel policies and state/federal labor laws; develop and maintain NET Personnel Manual to document policies.
- Help build a supportive organizational culture that models NET’s commitment to ensemble practice and collaboration, and that manifests the organization’s core values of equity, inclusion, transparency, excellence, respect, active engagement, and ongoing knowledge building.
- Develop and manage contracts, insurance, vendors, space/equipment rentals, and other legal agreements and compliance issues.
- Identify, monitor, and follow up on project timelines and action plans with staff, contractors, Board, and committees; collaborate with staff to create and maintain effective, efficient project management and communications systems.
- Schedule NET staff and Board meetings and coordinate meeting logistics; manage general organizational calendaring, and purchase staff office supplies.
- In collaboration with management team and with oversight of Executive Director, share in decision-making, planning, logistics, design, implementation, and oversight of organizational activities, programs, events, campaigns, communications, and operations.
- Serve as an administrative and organizational resource for Executive Director, collaborative management team, independent contractors, and Board, providing support as needed and taking on other duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION & WORKING CONDITIONS:
Annual salary range of $17,500 to $19,000 (for 0.5 FTE, 20 hrs/wk), depending on experience; this is based on 1.0 FTE annual salary range of $35K-38K, or an hourly range of $16.83-$18.27. NET offers a benefits package that includes paid PTO (vacation/personal/sick time), paid company holidays, an employer HRA contribution toward medical/dental insurance, a retirement plan, an internet/phone stipend, flexible work hours and location, and a mission-focused and collaborative workplace.
Work hours are typically Monday-Friday and flexible schedules are generally able to be accommodated, however the position will require occasional weekends and/or evenings, overnight out-of-state travel, or extended out-of-area stays. The position works in a home office environment with long sedentary periods and repetitive wrist and arm movement, and requires the ability to focus and conduct work via computer and/or phone for prolonged periods.
Click here to submit a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the position (PDF format preferred). Priority review begins April 18, 2017; position will remain open until filled. Early application encouraged, as review will occur on a rolling basis. Finalists will be asked to submit three references.
NET is committed to creating and fostering diversity at every level of the organization including but not limited to our staff, Board, and membership. We value collaboration, equity, access, inclusion, and multiple perspectives. Our hiring goal is a pool of highly qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our country and the communities we serve. Candidates from under-represented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
NET is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, (dis)ability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
For more information about the Network of Ensemble Theaters and our mission, membership, programs, and activities, please visit our website at www.ensembletheaters.net.