East Bay School for Boys--an independent middle school for boys in Berkeley, CA--is looking for an 80% or full-time staff member to be the Finance and Operations Director. The ideal start date is July 1, 2017.
The Finance and Operations Director reports directly to the Head of School, is part of the administrative team, attends Board meetings, and works with Board Site and Finance Committees. The Director is responsible for the school’s financial planning and management, plant operations, purchasing and supply management, risk management, employee benefits and policy management, and general operation of the school. The Director maintains relationships with banks, professional accountants, legal counsel, insurance companies and other private business on contractual and other matters pertaining to financial and operations management. The position is a full-time, exempt position, and salary is commensurate with experience. The ideal candidate will have a CPA and experience in an independent school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works closely with the Head of School, Finance Committee, and Board to develop current and long-term operating, cash reserve, and potential endowment budgets for the school, including salary/compensation and tuition/fee analysis and projections, financial analysis, and planning and asset management
- Attends quarterly Board meetings and attends and facilitates monthly Finance and Site Committee meetings; regularly meets with the Board Treasurer to set agendas for Finance Committee meetings and to ensure the Board has relevant and current financial information
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of school business, including cash management, financial statement preparation and presentation, purchasing, payroll, receivables, collections, accounting standards, and procedures for fund accounting
- Works with Advancement Director to accurately forecast and account for the annual gift giving process
- Works with Finance Committee to hire and supervise the annual school audit or review
- Works closely with the Head of School, Board, and Site Committee to plan and implement major facility additions and modifications
- Maintains appropriate plant and casualty insurance and manage plant risk
- Administers major and minor property purchasing and sales
- In cooperation with the Head of School, oversees the maintenance of the school, in conjunction with maintenance staff
- Develops and maintains personnel policies and procedures consistent with school’s goals and state and federal employment regulations, oversees all benefit programs, prepares all employment contracts for the school, and assists Head of School in hiring and termination of employees
- Coordinates with school’s PEO and Head of School in determining and administering benefits
- Review and maintain insurance policies for the school to provide adequate, cost-effective coverage for commercial property, commercial general liability, crime, automobile, boiler and machinery, excess liability, and school leaders error and omissions
- Maintains all business related paperwork, including non-profit status, 990, etc.; ensures timely preparation of tax returns and all required annual filings, W-2s, 1099s, property tax, 5500s, and business license applications
- Act as school liaison between school attorneys and insurance representatives in claims management
- Develop and implement general policies and procedures which follow state and federal guidelines in all school contracts and agreements
- Reviews and helps to facilitate, in coordination with the administrative team and Technology Director, any short or long term technology contracts
- Works with Advancement Director to supervise and retain compliance with our professional organizations to which we belong: NBOA/ISBOA, NAIS, and CAIS
GENERAL STAFF & SCHOOL DESCRIPTION
EBSB staff play a significant part in creating the culture of the school. Their voices are important in finding and solving problems and in the design and implementation of the school’s program. East Bay School for Boys recruits staff from a variety of sources and seeks individuals who are well-suited to work in a collaborative working environment and who reflect the diversity within the school and of the East Bay. EBSB staff explore together to nurture an environment that fosters trust, collective purpose, communication, healthy conflict, and shared accountability.
East Bay School for Boys, an independent middle school (grades 6-8), is an academically challenging and active environment: built for boys and with boys. We provide opportunities for boys to design, build, nurture, and grow their world, empowering boys to affect, connect, reflect, and most importantly, love to learn. We also focus on the boys’ social and emotional experience by creating a space where boys have positive male role models and are taught how to, and encouraged to be, the great men of tomorrow: engaged, thoughtful, and courageous.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resumé expressing interest and job qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.