Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. That's what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
Under the direction of the Assistant VPCorporate Finance, you will be responsible for supporting capital markets and financial risk management activities. You will be called upon to maintain relationships with external financing partners and rating agencies, while also serving as a resource and trusted business partner for internal business groups. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to prioritize, multitask, think strategically, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills. Expect to be challenged with a variety of projects, from providing deal-level support to translating a corporate capital structure view to a business unit level. Other activities you'll be involved in may include initial review of legal documentation, ongoing coordination with external contacts (i.e. bankers), and setting up internal analysis models and related reports, in order to productively move deals forward. As the AnalystCorporate Finance for Equity Residential, get ready to be exposed to senior finance leaders in a $30+ billion enterprise.
WHO YOU ARE
- Analytical. You are comfortable building models, analyzing data, forecasting for internal controls, interpreting financial statements, and evaluating trends. Without a doubt, you've got strong quantitative skills.
- Knowledgeable. Interest rates, debt products, and fixed income concepts are comfortable topics for you to discuss and your solid understanding of capital structure optimization and rating agency methodologies are other tools you're comfortable engaging in.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, demonstrating your ability to be articulate and understood.
- Organized and Accountable. You are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the business.
- Efficient and Effective. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence. And when a tight deadline comes up, you organize the tasks to be completed including quality checks and focus on how to re-prioritize your other tasks to meet the timeframe.
- A Team Player. You are known for serving as a resource and trusted business partner for internal groups. Participating in cross-functional projects is the type of work you love.
- Technologically Savvy. You've got a deep knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, plus at least a basic knowledge of Bloomberg and SNL Financial. Tools like email and internet access start as basic necessities in your daily operation and you'd feel lost without your smartphone by your side.
- Passionate. Motivated. Eager to Learn. You ask smart questions, challenge the status quo, and regularly seek to understand. You invest extra energy to reach your goals. And when a special project arises, you volunteer.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Perform financial modeling and analysis related to interest expense and financial metric forecasting for internal controls and debt covenant compliance.
- Forecast and model future funding needs for the organization, according to various planning scenarios.
- Support production of presentations for board, investor relations, rating agency, and other key constituents.
- Understand, maintain, and support the execution of interest rate risk management strategy, including (but not limited to) accounting and valuation work related to derivative instruments.
- Participate in cross-functional projects with investments, development, accounting and other internal groups.
- Develop recommendations to senior management by participating in capital markets proposal reviews and validation of approach.
- Develop and maintain relationships with bankers.
- Participate in special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Real Estate, Accounting, Finance, or Business.
- 2+ years of work experience in financial, analytical, and/or problem-solving roles; experience in investment banking, corporate treasury, and/or debt capital markets preferred.
- Strong financial analytical skills (modeling), problem solving capabilities, as well as sound knowledge of accounting and financial reporting.
- Solid understanding of, and keen interest in, financial markets, banking, corporate finance, and the REIT sector. Knowledge of interest rates, debt products, and fixed income concepts, capital structure optimization, and rating agency methodologies are a plus.
- Must have a strong understanding of finance concepts (NPV, IRR, etc).
- Proven strong work ethic, ability to make decisions, and work under tight deadlines without sacrificing quality of work product.
- Detail oriented and well-organized, with an ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize various responsibilities.
- Strong communication and presentation skills able to speak and write in a clear and articulate manner.
- Team player that demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with others.
- Motivated to succeed with capacity to assume increasing responsibility.
- Direct experience with capital markets and risk management activities preferred, but not required.
- CPA or CFA designation is preferred.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That's why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.