SSM Health is one of the largest integrated healthcare delivery systems in the country.
At SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital, we are committed to improving the health of our community and being one of the best providers of healthcare in the country. Our goal is to provide unsurpassed quality and compassionate care to every patient, every time.
Director of Finance – St. Mary's Hospital, Madison is a critical member of the WI Region senior leadership team. This position is responsible for overall financial operations of the hospital.
1. Identifying and meeting the financial operation needs of hospital operations in alignment with SSM Health and WI Region framework.
2. Collaborate on issues related to general accounting, accounts payable, payroll, cash management and fixed assets as needed.
3. Coordinate and prepare financial information to meet requirements established by SSM Health and WI Region.
4. Financial reporting including variance analysis.
5. Facilitate identification and implementation of improvement opportunities to enhance profitability.
6. Takes active role to facilitate achieving expected financial results of activities within specified timeframes.
7. Communicates and collaborates with all levels of the organization to promote a continuous improvement environment.
8. Proactively communicates with senior leadership on initiatives and collaborates to remove barriers to success.
9. Identifies, leverages and shares best practices across organization.
10. Participate in Region strategic and financial planning process.
11. Provide leadership to development of hospital annual operating and capital budgets.
12. Provide input on maintaining existing and operationalizing and establishing new fees consistent with Regional direction.
13. Assess regulatory changes to reimbursement and impact to hospital operations.
14. Maintains business regulatory compliance.
15. Provide financial discipline to evaluate strategic business opportunities including participating in quality improvement teams and processes.
16. Partner with Regional and Corporate financial leadership to identify, assess and implement approved work flow and system changes to leverage SSM Health finance infrastructure.
17. Support staff development efforts and encourage quality performance through coaching and empowerment.
18. As a member of the hospital's senior leadership team, takes administrative call.
19. Serve on Boards as assigned.
20. Provide training and support to management team to enhance financial acumen
21. Manage and support other hospital departments as assigned.
22. Attend and participate in hospital sponsored community events
23. Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABIliTIES:
Technical & Management Competencies
1. Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field and at least 7 years of progressively responsible financial experience in a health care setting.
2. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
3. Hands on and proactive management style.
4. Able to execute complex financial models and forecasts.
5. Able to build alignment for initiatives and programs.
6. Excellent presentation skills, both verbal and written in order to interact knowledgeably with and impact both internal and external parties.
7. Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to convey highly technical information understandable to a wide variety of audiences.
8. Proven strength as a motivational team-builder acting as a coach and mentor to develop staff.
9. Superior project management ability and drive for results mentality.
10. Keen ability to think and act strategically with the ability to plan for the long-term while balancing the short and long-range needs of the organization.
11. Demonstrates high standards regarding the quality and thoroughness of business and technical analysis.
12. Advanced degree or equivalent preferred.
13. Management experience preferred.
Desired Leadership Competencies
1. Collaborative and transparent style, comfortable working in a matrix environment.
2. Big picture perspective with ability to navigate and understand issues, dynamics and trends.
3. High level of accountability and drives for results, displays a sense of ownership and is passionate about attaining goals and surpassing expectations.
4. Decision making is grounded in an ethical and empathic context. Is willing to represent unpopular but necessary positions or courses of action and takes personal or career risks to service the best interests of the company. He/she must have confidence in their ability to make a difference and confront conflict constructively.
5. Ability to manage and develop people effectively. Able to delegate and prioritize multiple projects and initiatives.
6. Sound business judgement with ability to make the tough decisions with fairness and conviction.
7. Proactive problem solver.
8. Results-oriented and self-motivated individual who requires minimal supervision and takes pride in the accomplishments of themselves and their team.