The University of Virginia Facilities Management (FM) department seeks a dynamic business leader to serve as Finance Director. The Finance Director is a key member of the FM leadership team with the responsibility of directing overall fiscal and budget operations. Reporting to the Deputy Chief Facilities Officer, the incumbent will take a strategic and thoughtful approach to managing and growing the FM Finance department, which includes Fiscal Operations, Facilities Planning and Construction Financial Services, Energy and Utilities Finance, and Capital Budget Services. The Director will develop and maintain strong working relationships and collaborative partnerships with the FM leadership team, University Budget and Finance offices, and customer departments and units.
Leading a team of 20+ finance, budget, and accounting professionals, the Finance Director will oversee the accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, accounts payable, and payroll support for a total business portfolio that exceeds $360 million. The Finance Director's key priorities will be to:
- Cultivate, motivate, and inspire a high functioning team that strives to reach University, Facilities Management, and individual goals. Create and maintain a culture of change and improvement.
- Actively sponsor the effort to create, implement, and maintain highly effective and streamlined business processes while remaining in compliance with principles of accounting and local, state, and federal regulations.
- Partner with Facilities Management IT to evaluate existing technology and future opportunities to provide integrated financial systems that best support requirements for data integrity, compliance, and productivity.
- Provide University leadership and FM customers with access to accurate and timely information for strategic decision support, as well as delegated reporting needs and responsibilities.
- Ensure critical functions are carried out successfully, including but not limited to: annual budget preparation and review, fiscal operations, audit, vendor payments, payroll/timekeeping, rate setting and review, fixed asset management, financial reporting and analysis, operating and capital outlay accounting, and working with investment programs.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished business leader who has implemented transformative and sustained impact in complex environments where collaboration and influence management were critical to success. Key qualifications and characteristics include:
- Bachelor's degree is required; Master's degree in Business Administration is preferred;
- A minimum of seven years of significant senior level financial management experience with large, complex organizations and budgets is required; a minimum of 10 years is preferred;
- Experience with activity based budgeting/Responsibility Centered Management (RCM) and fee for service/cost recovery business and financial systems, Facilities, or operational finance is preferred;
- Highest standards of honesty and integrity;
- Proactive and innovative thinker, with a strategic and policy-minded focus;
- Bias towards action, with a sense of urgency to make and implement timely decisions which appropriately balance risks and opportunities;
- Excellent problem-solver with diplomacy and conflict-resolution skills;
- Strong customer-oriented approach;
- Exceptional communication skills and able to actively listen, write effectively, and deliver clear and professional presentations to varied audiences;
- Management style that emphasizes openness, intradepartmental and interdepartmental cooperation and support.
How to apply:
For more information about this opportunity and how to apply, please visit the search website: https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/fmfinancedirector.
If nominating an individual for this opportunity, please include the nominee's contact information and send electronically to Ellyn Chitwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.