The position is responsible for various daily financial operations in Housing & Residential Life (HRL) and Contract Administration (CA) which include reporting and analyzing monthly financial results; analyzing account balances and expense projections; recommending solutions for areas of concern while ensuring compliance with policy and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); identifying cost savings and process improvement opportunities; determining and implementing best practices; maintaining the chart of accounts for HRL departments; and conducting special assignments and projects.
Anticipated Starting Salary Range: $55,000 to $60,000
Duties and Responsibilities
Accounting and Reporting – 40%
Perform a variety of high level accounting functions. Prepare monthly operating statements. Monitor and analyze accounts, balances and fund usage for compliance with financial reporting. Prepare detailed financial analysis utilizing historical data and recommend course of action to supervisor. Develop reports for managers with recommendations regarding account and/or fund balances, budgeting practices and accounting functions.
- Prepare monthly operating statements, analyze significant budget variances and/or identify trends, document variances in statement notes.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts, transfer funds, set up new accounts, monitor fund balances, approve expense transactions, review and post data entry and develop various reports for managers.
- Review and approve P-Card and expense report transactions in EFS. Verify accurate account strings are being charged.
- Maintain depreciation system, capitalizing major/small assets each month, capitalizing building/major maintenance projects annually.
- Process internal catering bills and remit monthly payments to Aramark.
- Assist with various internal audits of business operations to ensure compliance.
Financial Analysis – 40%
Monitor and reconcile non-sponsored revenue, expense and balance sheet accounts. Review, interpret and apply university and departmental policies and procedures; and identify areas of concern. Develop and recommend solutions.
- Reconcile subsidiary general ledger system with Enterprise Financial System (EFS). Research all reconciling documents, prepare necessary journal entries/correcting documents, provide analysis notes on reports and balance subsidiary ledger cash to EFS cash.
- Maintain the integrity of both EFS and subsidiary accounting systems and charts of accounts. Establish new accounts, delete obsolete accounts, monitor systems for compliance with GAAP policies and procedures and verify month end Balance Sheet balances. Research the source or cause of discrepancies.
- Analyze conference program system reports, allocate earned revenue, reconcile to actual billings posted in accounts receivable system, and process correcting entries as needed.
- Develop and maintain financial schedules, including monthly payroll summary report of labor compared to budget.
- Recommend, document and implement improvements to departmental procedures.
Annual Budgets and Year End Close – 10%
Prepare detailed and complex financial analysis for non-sponsored accounts utilizing historical data; identify gaps between projected expenses, identify financial issues and recommend solutions based on financial, statistical and operational information.
- Develop expense projections based on previous activity and business knowledge of operation. Compile budget data into report for review by management staff.
- Enter budget data into general ledger and subsidiary ledger.
- Analyze year end expenses and assist with preparing closing entries for accounts payable and prepaid for the University financial report.
- Prepare budget and year end reports for Auxiliary Services, University Services and Controller’s Organization.
Other Essential Functions – 10%
- Attend department meetings and participate on assigned project teams.
- Attend professional development courses and workshops.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in conducting all responsibilities in this position.
- Provide back-up support to the Finance Professional 4, department manager and other Auxiliary Service departments.