Opening Date: Immediately
Closing Date: Until Position Is Filled
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Chicago, IL
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
How to Apply to Finance Director: https://platform.teachermatch.org/applyteacherjob.do?jobId=38152
Senior Accountant: https://platform.teachermatch.org/applyteacherjob.do?jobId=37941
Staff Accountant: https://platform.teachermatch.org/applyteacherjob.do?jobId=38153
The UNO Charter School Network (UCSN) believes that all students deserve the opportunity to realize their highest potential. Increasing in diversity but rooted in Hispanic communities, our educational model is anchored by strong parent partnerships, structured learning environments, rigorous curriculum, and an individualized approach that develops and empowers our students. For us, academic success is not a hope; it is an expectation.
Our vision is to develop a diverse group of intellectually curious and passionate civic leaders who act with integrity and who compete and excel locally, nationally, and globally.
Excellence – High expectations; Growth, Achievement
Integrity – Transparency, Communication
Community – Teamwork, Collaboration, & Responsibility
Innovation – 21st Century Learning Environment
Tenacity – “No Excuses, Whatever it Takes”, Passion
Accountability – Ownership, Outcomes, Responsibility
Consistent with the strategic priorities of the UNO Charter School Network (“UCSN”), the Finance Director will lead and be responsible for developing, improving and maintaining the annual budget along with subsidiary and long term budgets.
The Finance Director will create systems for developing the annual budget across all sources and uses of funds for UCSN at both the school and the organizational level. The Finance Director will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will work with the UCSN leadership team, School Directors and network personnel on incorporating the strategic financial planning and analysis into an effective business model that most effectively and efficiently delivers resources to UCSN students. UCSN is committed to maintaining its network of schools and as such the Finance Director will model the long term sustainability of UCSN and collaborate on matters of strategic and operational planning.
- Lead the annual budget process and provide budget to actual performance results to the schools and network leadership. Budget process will include operational and capital budgets (FY17 budget is approximately $88 million).
- Manage the budget for every source of revenue received or allocated to UCSN and incorporate those budgets into the daily operations of the organization through the utilization of the Advanced Budget Module (ABM) within the Blackbaud accounting system. Additionally, the budget will be aligned with the Web Purchasing system within the Blackbaud accounting system in order to encumber funds against budget and provide immediate feedback to organizational leadership regarding remaining budget balances.
- Assist the CFO with preparing budget presentations for UCSN’s leadership and constituents, and provide training to school staff to understand and utilize budgets that are aligned to the school’s mission and goals.
- Work with school leaders, programmatic directors (internal and external) and UCSN leadership to develop grant budgets. Responsible for submission of all grant budgets to CPS and other stakeholders along with reimbursements with assistance from accounting staff. Effectively engages with all UCSN staff related to grant management, budgeting and reporting that assists in keeping the UCSN in compliance with applicable state and federal guidelines.
- Assist the CFO and Controller in preparing all internal and external reports involving budget results, comparisons or projections including but not limited to CPS reporting, financing agreements and Board of Directors reports.
Commitment to Equity: Passionate about ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education.
Leadership: Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations. Builds positive relationships in and out of the organization.
Focus on Data-Driven Results: Relentlessly pursues increased student growth and achievement; willing to do whatever it takes to make gains.
Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions.
Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others.
Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver with high quality under tight deadlines.
Communication Skills: Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to stakeholder needs in a high-quality and courteous manner.
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Physically demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, walk around the classroom and kneel upwards of 60% of the day. In addition, walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 15 to 20 pounds for short periods of time and push and pull 15 to 20 lbs.
Majority of work performed in a general office environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
NOTE: The foregoing list of essential duties and responsibilities is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
The UNO Charter School Network is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals. The UNO Charter School Network does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin