About The Harvey School:
Located on a wooded, 125 acre campus in Katonah, NY, The Harvey School is a student-centered, co-educational independent school serving approximately 360 students in grades six to twelve. The school provides a college-preparatory program that fosters lifelong learning and inspires students to develop the confidence and leadership qualities necessary to succeed in a diverse, competitive, and changing world. With our commitment to small class size, our community cultivates the strengths of each student through academic excellence, artistic exploration, athletic achievement, community service, and global understanding.
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) reports to the Head of School and is responsible for managing and overseeing the school’s 15-million-dollar budget, human resources, facilities, food service, security, and all other activities related to the operations of the school. The DFO is an integral member of the school’s administrative team and supports several key committees of the Board of Trustees.
- Manage the financial operation of the school to ensure its financial stability.
- Use standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures to keep an accurate and continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school.
- Prepare management reports that provide insight into the organization's performance against its financial plans and related financial health, including a monthly operating statement for the Head of School and the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee the preparation of the school’s annual budget, working closely with the Head of School, Finance Committee, Director of Admissions, business office, and members of the academic and operations teams.
- Provide recommendation to Board of Trustees at January meeting of the succeeding year’s tuition.
- Provide for the completion of an external annual audit of the school’s financial records and financial positions.
- Oversee school purchasing, financial investments, banking activities, payroll, and benefits programs.
- Conduct financial analysis and prepare financial projections as appropriate, based on various future enrollment/expense scenarios.
- Develop a strategic financial plan that reflects the educational priorities of the school and sustains fiscal health and stability.
- Increase the financial literacy of the organization, including the staff, Board of Trustees, and parent community through various modes of communication.
- Directly oversee, develop, and evaluate the school's business office, which manages all the financial activities and functions of the school.
- Monitor expenditures in relation to the approved budget to ensure that all activities are in compliance.
- Act as primary contact with banks and other external financial institutions.
- Work with the Head of School and appropriate administrators to develop and negotiate contract terms and conditions for bids and proposals.
- Ensure finances are managed according to independent school best practices.
- Oversee the development of a facilities plan, working closely with the Head of School, the Buildings and Grounds Committee, and the Finance Committee.
- Analyze and evaluate viable possibilities for facilities improvement/expansion.
- Oversee the school’s installations and ensure that all facilities (buildings and grounds) are well maintained, comply with all safety and insurance requirements, and meet the needs of the school.
- Supervise the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
- Implement a system to manage maintenance work orders, supervise the scheduling of work orders, and approve all maintenance purchases.
- Oversee all new construction and work closely with architects and general contractors to ensure construction and project timelines and budgets are met.
- Establish consistent HR policies and procedures.
- Ensure that HR activities, procedures, and practices are in keeping with local laws and the school’s policies, including recruitment, personnel documentation, evaluation, and retention.
- Assist the Head of School with decisions regarding salaries and benefits for all personnel.
- Oversee, evaluate, and continually upgrade the school’s HR system.
- Oversee and evaluate the school’s food service provider.
- Seek input from, and work with, the school community to continuously improve the school’s food services.
- Ensure the effective management of the food-service operation.
- Oversee school transportation and contracts and assess the performance of the transportation companies.
- Ensure the effective management of the bookstore.
- Oversee the rental and use of school facilities.
- Oversee and coordinate any other auxiliary enterprises of the school, including the ice rink and summer camp.
Board of Trustees
- Attend all board meetings.
- Attend meetings and provide staff support, in conjunction with the Head of School, for the following board committees: Finance Committee, Buildings and Grounds Committee, Investment Committee, Audit Committee, and Strategic Planning Committee.
- Manage risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school.
- Prepare presentations and make reports to the Head of School, Board of Trustees, and standing committees on issues related to areas of responsibility.
- Prepare presentations and make reports to the staff and community on issues related to areas of responsibility.
- Coordinate with outside organizations related to the financial, facilities, and other operational needs of the school.
- Act as the primary contact with relevant local institutions and agencies.
- Represent the school at various regional, state, and national associations relative to the role of business manager.
- Participate in other committees and school related clubs and activities as inclined and/or able.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- Manage a team of 10.
Background and Characteristics:
- Strong background in accounting or finance (MBA and/or CPA preferred).
- Expertise creating and managing budgets.
- Experience working in an independent school, higher education, or not-for-profit environment.
- Ability to manage, support, and develop a high-functioning and collaborative operations team in support of the school's academic mission.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment and work closely with other members of the leadership team.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Understanding of local laws and regulations regarding fiscal and legal compliance, employment, and education.
- Experience in prioritizing tasks and managing complex, long-term projects.
- Positive attitude, flexible approach, and a sense of humor.
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in finance and operations, with five years of senior leadership experience.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Proven success in a similar role, preferably in a non-profit with a board of trustees.
To apply for this position:
Please send a single PDF file that includes a cover letter, resume, and three references to William J. Knauer, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 30, 2016. Please include “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line.