Department: Fiscal Services
Director, Finance Administrative Systems Team (FAST)
George Mason University Fiscal Services seeks a Director of Finance and Administrative Systems Team (FAST). George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The mission of FAST is to support Fiscal Services and its customers by developing IT solutions, automating processes, implementing commercial software products, improving existing systems, and developing controls and reports that make the financial operations of the university more accurate and efficient. FAST applies a combination of functional and technical resources to analyze day-to-day functional needs and generate technology solutions—bridging the language and knowledge gap between business units and the Information Technology Services (ITS); and serving as the liaison with the ITS for system testing of enhancements, releases and upgrades.
This position is responsible for leading the delivery of technical solutions to improve business efficiency, solve business problems, and meet intradepartmental technical needs using Ellucian Banner ERP (enterprise resource planning) and other databases. This is a technical leadership position that also provides development, analytical, and operational support in an environment consisting of Ellucian Banner ERP, Oracle, Unix, SharePoint and Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS). Additional responsibilities include:
- Lead a team of application analysts and fiscal technicians to review requests from partner financial units; evaluate technology needs; coordinate work assignments; manage system testing of upgrades; and guide the staff for implementation of technology solutions and enhancements, or resolution of system anomalies;
- Supervise software development projects and analytic reports, and provide hands-on technical support when needed;
- Develop an annual strategic plan, perform risk assessments, and develop and maintain the risk and control matrix;
- Represent the finance department in IT governance committees, technology leadership councils and senior staff discussions;
- Serve as technical expert, providing technology advice to senior staff (Assistant Vice President/Controller), and other financial bodies, including Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Student Account Receivable, and General;
- Perform planning, hiring, interviewing, training, performance management and reviews, and monitoring expenditures;
- Collaborate with the Project Management Office (PMO) to implement programs and project management practices;
- Evaluate COTS products and serve in the procurement and assessment committee, including developing and examining Request for Proposal (RFP) documents, and reviewing bids from vendors;
- Lead service request and incident tracking to follow best principles from Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL); and
- Establish procedures for deployment, rollout and support of COTS products, serving as the liaison between the vendor, business units and the users.
- Master of Science degree in computer science or a related field; and
- Significant experience as a senior-level technology professional (at least 15 years is strongly preferred).
- MBA or similar graduate degree and/or training and work experience at a level which equates to an advanced degree;
- Prior experience as a software or ETL developer, Unix or database administrator, or technical project or program manager;
- Experience in the public sector of higher education and/or fiscal services;
- Strong knowledge and experience with ERP systems; and
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, manage a diverse staff, and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check, Financial Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA472z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.