The Finance Director/City Clerk is a highly responsible administrative and supervisory position for the City of Dublin. This position ensures proper maintenance of records and documents for the City Council, manages all City funds, and the City-wide computer system. The Finance Director/City Clerk is responsible for the comprehensive annual financial report, revenue collections and billings for the general fund, sanitation, water, sewer and gas departments, accounts payable, payroll, and the issuance of business and alcohol licenses. This position also recommends tax millage rate based on tax digest and revenue requirements, handles tax billing and collections.
The Finance Director/City Clerk is one of the highest ranking administrative officials in the City and is generally responsible for coordinating budget and financial activities of the City, maintaining all official records of the City, holding elections, overseeing the City-wide computer system and supervising approximately 10 staff members assigned to these areas of responsibility. The Director/Clerk is appointed directly by the Mayor and Council and works at their pleasure, as is the City Manager, City Attorney, and City Judge. Major responsibilities of the position include:
• Oversight of all functions related to revenue collections and billings for the general fund, sanitation, water, sewer and gas departments, accounts payable, payroll, and the issuance of business and alcohol licenses;
• Recommending tax millage rates based on sound tax digest and revenue projections; overseeing tax billings and collections;
• Oversite of all financial activities of the City to include working with department heads to develop annual department budgets, assisting the City Manager in preparing and submitting the proposed budget to the Mayor and Council for approval; recommending budget amendments to the Mayor and Council; overseeing all purchases to ensure compliance with approved budget and fiscal policy;
• Providing understandable reports to the Mayor and Council on a regular basis describing the current financial condition of the City; investing City funds in accordance with policy approved by the Mayor and Council; ensuring audit requirements are adhered to in order to provide appropriate financial records for the annual audit;
• Providing support for City Council meetings and functions, attending all meetings of City Council, assisting with compilation of City Council agendas; supervising staff charged with transcribing meeting minutes; performing follow-up activities resulting from Council meetings;
• Serving as City Elections Superintendent by supervising staff charged with planning and coordinating City elections in accordance with Georgia elections codes; ensuring completion of all financial disclosure and campaign contribution reports by persons seeking elected office;
• Supervising staff with technical expertise to maintain City’s computer system, making recommendations to the Mayor and Council for periodic software and equipment updates.
Minimum qualifications for the Finance Director/ City Clerk include:
-Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Public Administration, Business Administration, or closely related field required; Master’s Degree preferred; five years of professional experience in accounting and financial management required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
-Supervisory experience and work in a local government of similar size and complexity to Dublin is highly desired.
-The successful candidate must demonstrate a high level of understanding of governmental budgeting, finance, and investment/management of public funds; knowledge of governmental accounting and finance best practices that ensure proper fund management and leads to efficient use of financial resources. Knowledge of best practices for maintaining, tracking, safekeeping, and researching official records and documents of the City is also an important requirement.
Additional Salary Information: The starting salary for the Finance Director/City Clerk will be based upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate; starting annual salary is expected to be in the range of $90,000 - $100,000. The City offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life insurance; long-term disabil¬ity insurance, paid sick and vacation leave and retirement benefits. A relocation allowance may be provided to the selected candidate.
About City of Dublin, GA
The City of Dublin, located 30 miles southeast of Macon, Georgia is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Finance Director/City Clerk. Dublin has a population of approximately 16,000 and is the county seat of Laurens County.
The City of Dublin, where small town southern charm and easy access to Atlanta and Savannah have combined to create a community rich in character and full of life.
From our historic downtown to our bustling industries, Dublin stays ahead of the curve with progressive takes on small business planning, retail recruitment, infrastructure, revitalization, neighborhood planning, and industrial development. From our single stream recycling program to accessibility to fiber optic network, Dublin offers businesses what they need to succeed. This success with business growth gives our residents access to nationally acclaimed dining, unparalleled arts and cultural events, and uniquely diverse shopping experiences.