Organization: CF-Office of Chief Financial Officer
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it as a Field Finance Manager!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
The vision Berkeley Lab’s Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is to deliver high-value financial and procurement services and strategic solutions that contribute to Berkeley Lab's scientific and stewardship mission. The OCFO seeks applicants with initiative and focus who thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment and who want to positively impact the Lab's scientific mission.
What You’ll Do:
• Provide and oversee all financial support that enables two LBNL Scientific Area clients to accomplish their mission while effectively fulfilling their fiduciary stewardship responsibilities.
• Recommend strategies on financial matters and provide technical and consultative services to deliver best-value solutions on financial matters that balance quality, timeliness, cost and risk to support short- and long-term Area goals in alignment with institutional goals and responsibilities.
• Manage and lead Area and Divisional pre-award financial support and post-award financial management for a mix of research programs funded by the US Department of Energy (DOE) and non-DOE sponsors.
• Lead and supervise 9 to 15 OCFO Field Finance staff matrixed to Scientific Areas who provide financial services.
• Provide technical expertise, consultation, and program/project support to the CFO Field Finance Unit for various institutional and OCFO initiatives, such as Field Finance’s organizational development efforts.
What We’re Looking For:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or related field and 8-10 years of relevant experience in financial leadership and management, preferably in a large research organization or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Extensive demonstrated experience in providing financial advice and consultative services, including short and long-range financial planning, estimating, budgeting, cost and effort tracking, analysis and forecasting, indirect rate development, monitoring expenses appropriateness, tracking and reporting and project close-out.
• Expert in advanced budget and accounting policies and practices, and broad, extensive and advanced knowledge, experience and achievement in planning, managing and reporting on portfolios of budgets funded from multiple sources having varying budget restrictions.
• Strong and advanced organizational, analytic, and problem solving skills including experience independently organizing relevant information, presenting options and impacts, and recommending solutions.
• Highly effective communicator, in both written and verbal form, who can articulate the key issues, summarize solutions, and provide recommendations in a manner that meets client needs while building client confidence and trust.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and trust, gain a comprehensive understanding of client area mission, sponsors and needs, interact effectively with a broad range of customers at varying levels within the organization, such as senior Area and Division managers, Scientists, divisional budget analysts and LBNL staff.
• Proven track record of recruiting, leading, motivating, managing and developing high performing staff and teams that function with independence, accountability and collaboration both individually and in teams.
• Experience with office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and enterprise financial applications, with extensive experience using Excel data analysis functions, creating effective reports, and presentations including charts and graphs.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field.
• Advanced knowledge of Federal Cost Accounting standards and other Federal process and regulations.
• Expert knowledge of DOE and non-DOE sponsor reporting requirements and audit policies.
• Working knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft financial applications.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on November 21, 2017.
• This is a full time career appointment.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work may be performed at the following locations:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) — Bldg. 971, 6401 Hollis St., Emeryville CA
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=114062 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL.http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits).
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Additional Salary Information: Salary is commensurate with experience.